About the Ervin Monroe Young Artists Competition:
The EMYAC is open to any Michigan flutists aged 30 or younger who is currently a SEMFA member and who has not previously won first prize. “Michigan Flutist” is defined as a flutist currently residing and studying in the state of Michigan, or a student who previously resided in Michigan and graduated from a Michigan high school, but is currently attending college out of state. The applicants must be available to perform at the SEMFA Fall Festival. Six finalists will be selected on the basis of recorded auditions. Judges will award, at their discretion, cash prizes of $1,000, $500, and $200. The first and second prize winners will perform in a masterclass for our featured guest artist at the SEMFA festival, George Pope.
Ervin Monroe Young Artist Competition Application
The SEMFA Ervin Monroe Young Artist Competition is biennial and open only to Michigan Flutists aged 18 to 30. It was established in 2008 to honor and commemorate the 40-year tenure of Ervin Monroe as Principal Flutist of the Detroit Symphony.
Requirements and Regulations
1. Prepare two (2) UNEDITED, HIGH QUALITY copies of your performance on CD or an mp3. Edited recordings will be disqualified.
2. Download application HERE.
3. Pay a $35 non-refundable application fee (along with SEMFA membership dues if you are not currently a SEMFA member) by check or PayPal.
4. Mailed recordings should have applicant's name and address on the outer package only; no identification should be on the CD or CD case. no speaking is allowed on the recording.
Application payments accepted by PayPal: email@example.com. Email mp3/ applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org - "SEMFA Competition" in subject line.
Apply by mail
Submit 2 CDs/ Application/ Payment to: Brandon LePage - SEMFA Competitions Coordinator, 12358 Buckingham, Southgate MI 48195
Deadline: All materials must be postmarked or emailed by the deadline date of October 22, 2016. Semifinalists will be notified by November 4, 2016.
1. REQUIRED PIECE: E Varese, Density 21.5
2. ONE SELECTION FROM THE FOLLOWING:
- Faure, Sonata in A Major (edited by Trudy Kane): I, III, IV Mvts
- Messaien, Le Merle Noir
- Prokofiev, Sonata for Flute, Movements 1 and 2
- Previous 1st place winners of the EMYAC are ineligible for this competition
- The final round is open to the public
- Finalists must provide their own accompaniment
- Finalists agree to appear at the SEMFA Fall Festival on November 12, 2016 at their own expense.
Previous First Prize Winners
2009 - Margaret Shin
2011 - Katherine Standefer
2013 - Cheng-Yu Lu
2014 - Brandon LePage
2016 - Shantanique Moore