About the Rachel Stornant Junior Artist Competition
The Rachel Stornant Junior Artist Scholarship Competition is held in memory of our beloved friend and colleague, Rachel, who left us too far too soon. In her final year with us, Rachel taught a young student free of charge in order to assist her in upgrading to a new flute. We believe Rachel’s final wish would have been to help promote the careers of young, budding talent in the Southeast Michigan flute community.Eligibility: The RSJAC is open to any Michigan resident who has not yet completed the 8th grade as of the date of the final round of the competition. The RSJAC Applicants must be active SEMFA members and submit an additional application fee of $20.00. Student Membership dues of $10.00 are non-refundable and may be mailed with the application. The membership year runs from January 1, to December 31, 2016.
Rachel Stornant Junior Artist Competition Application
Application: All applications must include a completed application form, written essay, letter of recommendation from private flute teacher, and necessary dues and fees. No recording is required. Applications must be postmarked or emailed no later than October 22, 2016. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applicants will be informed of their status by November 4, 2016. Checks should be made payable to SEMFA (Southeast Michigan Flute Association). Please mail or email your completed application to: Brandon LePage ATTN: SEMFA Competition Coordinator 12358 Buckingham Southgate, MI, 48195 Email: email@example.com
Requirements and Regulations
Requirements:REQUIRED PIECE: One Selection from "40 Little Pieces", Ed. L. Moyse, Pub. SchirmerPLUS: One piece of applicants' choosing(Total playing time not to exceed 8 minutes)
- Students must submit an essay about their musical goals and how they will use the scholarship and a brief 100- 120 word Biography.
- Winners must provide SEMFA with a receipt demonstrating that the money was used for musical purposes.
- Students must submit a letter of teacher recommendation.
- Students must be available to perform live at the final round of the competition during the SEMFA 2016 Flute Festival.
- Twelve students will be accepted to the live performance round, based on essay, teacher recommendation, and repertoire list.
- Students must submit a repertoire list of TWO contrasting works to be performed at the final round of the scholarship competition and shall not exceed 8 minutes in length. Individual movements from larger works are permitted. Cuts will be permitted.
- Works including piano must be performed with accompaniment.
- SEMFA highly recommends that students use Douglas Scott as their accompanist. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Memorization is encouraged but not required.
- The membership year begins January 1 through December 31 annually. RSYAC Applicants must be current SEMFA members with membership fees paid for 2016.Awards:
- 1st Place will receive a $300 Scholarship
- 2nd Place will receive a $100 Scholarship
- 3rd Place will recieve a $50 Scholarship
- 3 Honorable Mentions will be awarded.